I finally did it. I sold my food at a holiday market!

Posted on Dec 8 2013 - 5:01pm by Whitney

So, if you are a regular reader of my blog, you may (or may not) know that I have always wanted to start an Indian food truck. Seeing as that isn’t going to happen any time soon, I did something else. I was a vendor at Sloss Holiday Market and Iron Pour. The day of the silent auction, it was like almost 80*. The next day it was horribly cold and rainy. I left early. The weather was horrible. Yesterday was much better. Although it was in the 40s and incredibly cold, people came out and actually ate my food! (BTW, can you believe that? Going from upper 70s one day to low 40s the next? That’s December in Alabama for you.)

Anyways, I was incredibly nervous. Luckily, I have some amazing friends who helped me out with prep. I also had a friend in the booth with me selling her homemade snow globes. We had a tent. We set up shop inside and got to work. I sold samosas, tandoori chicken, Indian roasted chickpeas, spiced pecans, candied pecans, and an Indian snack bar. (So, my Secret Santa person will be getting those things, in addition to other things.) I met some really cool people, and saw some amazing things others were selling. I even traded my food for something someone else was selling. Excited about that. Across from me, someone was selling scarves and jewelry from Nepal and India. She came over and started talking to me and had a samosa. She then sent her husband over and I chatted with him a bit. He’s a professor at UAB in the master’s program I am applying to. So that was cool! He bought samosas and chicken for himself and his child. Some of my friends even came to see me. I have wonderful friends.

We don’t have much of an Indian market here, so I was really nervous of the reception. We do have a few Indian restaurants, but nothing like other cities where there are complete sections of rows and rows of Indian restaurants and shops.

I didn’t take many pictures, because my fingers were freezing, but this is what our table looked like. 993488_601914616510434_830832479_n

It looked a lot better in person.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering. Here’s some of the chicken and samosas. Again, pictures suck. My bad.

2013-12-07 08.34.21 2013-12-08 16.43.13

So, there you have it! That’s what I did with my weekend! Now here it is Sunday. And it is gloomy and rainy and thundery and cold. What did you do this weekend? And yes, I will be posting recipes for the roasted chickpeas and pecans soon!

30 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Joanne December 8, 2013 at 6:18 pm - Reply

How exciting – congrats! :)

2. Lynda December 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm - Reply

I wish Hazel Green wasn’t so far away from you. I think it all sounds and looks amazing! Looking forward to the recipes. Congratulations!

• whitegirllovesindianfood December 8, 2013 at 8:25 pm - Reply

Thank you! I had to look up Hazel Green!

• Lynda December 9, 2013 at 6:24 am - Reply

LOL! Yes, we are hardly noticeable on the map of Alabama.

3. simplyvegetarian777 December 8, 2013 at 7:42 pm - Reply

Love it..totally love it :).
    I used to make costume jewelry and sell it to local boutiques and did lot of holiday craft fairs.,had so much fun..I can totally feel your excitement. BTW..your chicken and samosa and the table display looks nice :). Well dine girl!

4. Hidden Passions December 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm - Reply

Looks delicious.. :) and Now I miss samosa’s!

5. Shruti December 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm - Reply

My God!!! This is just outstanding :) Very well prepared…

6. Priya Kedlaya December 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm - Reply

What a spread! Congratulations on your first market sale! :)

7. Nathan Dulce December 9, 2013 at 12:03 am - Reply

the chicken and samosas look so yummy! i wish i could have visited!

8. foodbod December 9, 2013 at 12:45 am - Reply

Congratulations

9. Ethnic Food December 9, 2013 at 5:45 am - Reply

Indian food is very good, however, Philippines ethnic food is very tasty and good for health. Philippine pili nuts from the Bicol region in the Philippines is a great Filipino or Pinoy food or snack. Pili nuts are very healthy and nutritious indeed, being a source of energy, potassium and iron. They also have protein, dietary fiber / fibre, and calcium as well as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

• whitegirllovesindianfood December 9, 2013 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Sounds interesting. I have never heard of those nuts and wouldn’t even know where to find them!

10. kellymudry December 9, 2013 at 6:50 am - Reply

looks yummy. wondering if you had lots of red tape to jump through to be allowed to do that? ie., passing food handlers’ safety courses, licenses, etc ?

• whitegirllovesindianfood December 9, 2013 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Hi Kelly, if you’re interested in participating in something like this in your own city, I would suggest looking up the rules of your county. Each state is different and each county within each state is different.

11. confusedbawarchis December 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm - Reply

I just saw this and WOW! this is really super! you are giving me inspiration to do something like this :)

12. mohanag December 27, 2013 at 10:50 pm - Reply

You and I, need to start with our food truck, I am telling you.

13. Undead Ahead January 6, 2014 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Your posts always leave me salivating (i’m just doing the catch up reading due to my absence).
    I’m so happy for you though. I’m always dreaming about doing something like this but I’m too scared too. Don’t know why. But I always feel a little inspired when I see others do it. So thanks for a little inspo =)

• whitegirllovesindianfood January 6, 2014 at 11:41 pm - Reply

You should totally give it a try! You will never know how it would turn out unless you do it!!

Leave A Response