Instant Upma – A South Indian Breakfast Cream of Wheat

Posted on Dec 30 2013 - 3:20pm by Whitney

DSC_1361

Most of the time I like to make my meals from scratch. I don’t like to cut corners, because often time quality and taste is something not to be messed with. However, there are some things I don’t mind making from a package. Keep in mind, I never ever use the ready made meals. That crap is so disgusting and full of preservatives and oils. Unfortunately, many people don’t know better. The things I do use that comes from a package, is stuff that cuts down on cooking time, without compromising quality or taste. For example, if I can find pre-made dosa batter at an Indian store, you bet I am going to pick it up. I’m talking about batter that is fresh and already mixed, and the dry batter that you mix and let sit for 12 + hours. Not the kind that you mix and use within 5 minutes. Upma, is another example. Sometimes I grab a few bags of the instant Upma mix, because sometimes ain’t nobody got time for that crap.

I recommend MTR’s brand, because I have found that it is extremely easy to make, and it has just the right amount of spices, and the texture is quite nice. I don’t really need to do anything except saute some veggies and nuts. You don’t even need to do that, you can eat it as is.

You can always make your own Upma from scratch, but this saves so much time without decreasing any of the good stuff.

Ingredients:

1 bag of MTR brand Upma mix

2 cups water

1 tbsp oil

a handful of whatever veggies and nuts you like

small bit of chopped cilantro

To Make:

Saute the veggies and nuts in the oil until they are cooked to your preferred taste. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the Upma mix and stir constantly for several minutes. At first it will look like soup. It gets thicker as the minutes and stirs go by. It takes less than five minutes for it to come together. Serve hot.

DSC_1362

11 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. sybaritica December 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm - Reply

What a lovely presentation!

2. sweetinsomniac December 31, 2013 at 1:09 am - Reply

Your Upma looks just like the one on the MTR pack :), very appetizing! It’s so heartening to see an American cooking so much Indian food, while we do the other way. Guess this is what globalization is about!

3. aryana0821 December 31, 2013 at 5:39 am - Reply

Looks wonderful :)

4. Shruti January 1, 2014 at 3:50 pm - Reply

Wowwww!!! Upma had never been so focused in my kitchen… Simply superb :)

5. www.mytastyadventures.com January 4, 2014 at 3:10 pm - Reply

I agree on making things from scratch! I do buy ready made dosa mix sometimes though. Especially when I want to eat dosa NOW and not wait 12h to ferment :/ I love ur post and the recipe. Will try it soon :)

P.S. I’m glad I found another white girl who loves and knows how to cook Indian food ;)

• whitegirllovesindianfood January 4, 2014 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Waiting for things to ferment is the WORST!!! I am so totally gonna follow your Facebook page so I can get an update on all your Polish recipes! BTW, where do y’all live?

• Kat January 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm - Reply

lol..you might see more Indian than polish dishes :) I live in NJ

6. homelyrecipes January 5, 2014 at 9:01 am - Reply

I wonder how you have learnt these Indian recipes? Really wonderful.

• whitegirllovesindianfood January 5, 2014 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Well, I’ve spent the last ten years around Indian culture. So watching people make at first. Recipes, trial and error, etc. Throughout the years it just all came together. It also helps to have a personal Indian taste critic at home =)

Leave A Response